.feed-links {display:none !important;}

NEW

Sunday, November 27, 2022

"BATTLING FOR YOURSELF OR DIE IN AWAIT: BAYAN’S LIFE"

 

By Steve Govati

"Walking at least two hours to Dombole Secondary school sometimes with empty stomachs from Nachiye village"

FORTUNE BAYAN
“God blessed us with a piece work of roasting maize for porridge, a 50kg bag at MK500. This helped us a lot."

"My brother I heard you want to get married, don't try that. Nowadays, things have changed, your children are your responsibility no one can take care of them unless otherwise. You should rebuild your future to be brighter."

These are keys issues merged in an interview with Fortune Bayan, 28, from Nachiye, Ntcheu.

He was born in a family of four children who sadly lost mother in 2008. Wind flowed and life zipped in challenges especially when his father got married to another woman.

"Life was hard at that time. I was staying with my brother, Gift who was pursuing third year of Secondary education at Dombole and I joined same school in 2010 when I was 16 years old." Bayan said.

As children how did you survive?

"Our father was providing a little like soap. We used to fetch harvest remains in people's gardens and sometimes piece  labor in exchange for maize and sweet potato," he responded.

Bayan added that they used porridge, sometimes roasted maize for dinner. But some relatives broke their house and stole maize flour and other staffs when they were at school.

"We were forced to left for police turn off. And there God blessed us with a piece work of roasting maize for porridge, a 50kg bag at MK500. This helped us a lot", he narrated.

After writing his form four examinations in 2014, Bayan went back to village to stay his grandmother.

"Fortunately, Gift was working at certain bakery in Mphate. It didn't take a while, I found a job at Lungu restaurant at a pay of MK7000 per month. I should mention here that I didn't pass well in Malawi school certificate of education. Sometimes I guessed school it's not my issue then with a salary I was getting I wanted to get married with Emmy Chagaga", Bayan said

Some of his relatives did not accept the marriage idea and Mary, his sister advised him and she said

"My brother I heard you want to get married, don't try that. Nowadays, things have changed, your children are your responsibility no one can take care of them unless otherwise. You should rebuild your future to be brighter."


No comments: